Tuesday, April 6, 2010

MAC Pro Longwear Lipstain Marker Review

From MAC's Art Supplies Collection, I got three lipstain markers in the shades Point of View, Runway Ripened and Puposefully Red.

Just to note: for the shade Point of View the swatch colour on the box is a bit misleading from the actual colour.
The colour swatch on the box looks much more nude than it really is. I seriously don't think it would come out that kind of colour on anyone's lips.

This is the swatch on my skin. It is watery in consistency but only a thin layer applies and it's literally a stain (just like Benefit's famous cheek stain. Same idea).

See the colour that comes out? I would put this in the brown family rather than the nude family.


Purposefully Red and Runway Ripened both come out red on my lips with Runway Ripened being a tad bit brighter.
However the swatches show that Purposefully Red has some coral/orange undertones to it and Runway Ripened having some magenta undertones to it.

Here are the swatches: Purposefully Red (left) and Runway Ripened (right)
It really does look like a marker....felt tip and all...just like a Sharpie permanent marker :)



This is me with nothing on my lips

After applying MAC's Point of View lipstain it makes my lips a red-maroon colour with a caramel undertone


This is later in the day with MAC's Purposefully Red on my lips. I really like this shade a lot. In person it looks more red than in this picture. This picture seemed to pick up some of the coral undertones

And this is me wearing MAC's Runway Ripened which is a tad bit brighter than Purposefully Red
It's a stain so it's obviously not creamy or moisturizing. Everyone has fine lines on their lips so the stain will sink in and naturally accentuate it.

The stain will dry within a minute or two. After it dries, to avoid the prune look for my lips I applied a gloss on top.

Here I added MAC's Dazzleglass Creme in Perfectly Unordinary on top of Point of View.



You can see from the tube of gloss what shade of pink it is. When I layer this pink gloss on top of the lip stain the colour becomes more mauve (not evident from picture). This is a close up of the lipstain + lipglass on my lips.


So a gloss on top definitely takes away the "dry" look the stain will give your lips and the lipstick did not budge when I applied the gloss on top.
Personally I like these a lot more than MAC's Pro Longwear lipcolour which I have in the shade Clingpeach (note Clingpeach looks nothing like it does on the website swatch). I do not like the consistency of the longwear lipcolours - even with a thin layer of colour and gloss on top, the longwear lipstick starts to crack off in little bits and you can feel the gritty lipstick bits if you smack or rub your lips together. What's worst than feeling it is seeing it LOL (or others seeing it!).
With the new lipstain markers, you can't feel it on your lips at all which I love. And I can smack my lips together as much as I want and I don't have to worry that the lipstick is coming off in bits :\ Also, with regular creamy red lipsticks I often have that dreaded red lipstick on your teeth problem. I don't want to be so conscious of that or to have to keep checking my teeth in the mirror when I'm wearing red lipstick so for that reason, I really like the lipstains in the two red shades I picked up.

Have you or will you check out the new MAC Pro Longwear Lipstain Markers? Or are you eyeing something else from the Art Supplies Collection?
How is your week so far?
:) Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment