Monday, May 31, 2010

My first helicopter ride :)

Last weekend when I was in Canmore with Dale, he wanted to make my trip out West special so he took me on a helicopter ride :)

It was my first time in a helicopter!

I was really nervous just before I got into the helicopter. I used the washroom several times within 30 minutes before heading to the launch pad! Lucky for me, I was totally fine once I was in the helicopter

Dale booked the tour with Apline Heli Tours. I lucked out with the weather - it was a gorgeous morning. And Dale chose the 30 minute Mount Assiniboine Glacier Tour

Me in front of the company sign



The launch and landing pad



I got front seat!!! It was just Dale and I who booked this particular helicopter which is good. So altogether there were four people - our pilot, Dale, a lady from the company (to even out the weight in the helicopter) and myself.
I really would not recommend a fifth person in a helicopter since the middle back seat probably has quite an obstructed view.
So this was the control panel! The pilot sits to the right (here drivers sit on the left in a car)


Our pilot James S. :)



He's a funny guy :) When I got into the helicopter I told him it was my first time in a helicopter and he said, "It's my first time too!" LOL



The closest I'll get to the peaks of any mountain....it was breath taking. The pictures don't do it any justice.







And we each got a little certificate saying we did the tour.


This is just a quick video I took in the valley of a mountain. The video quality is rather terrible on my Samsung PL100. Towards the 20 sec point, you can see how there is glass behind the foot rest in the front seat.





It was an amazing experience and I have Dale to thank so much for that. I'm really grateful to have him in my life. He is so generous to me.

And my helicopter ride was smoother than being in an airplane despite my fears :)


Have you been on a helicopter before? Where would you like to take a helicopter ride over? A canyon? Mountains? A waterfall?

No comments:

Post a Comment