Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Nailene Nails at the Dollar Store + review of Nailene gel nail glue



Look at what I found at the Dollar Store!






Usually I pay like $7.99 for basic french manicure nail kits.




And I have yet to try nail gems. So this will be my $1.25 experiment ;)















Hearts, stars, flowers, squares, circles....









I figured, not bad for $1.25. Especially since at my next stop Pharma Plus, I saw a nail gem kit very similar for $6.99. Main difference to me was that this one has 160 gems vs the 120 gems in the $1.25 pack. I don't think that glue in the pack will come in handy as I will probably stick the gems on when my nail polish is semi-wet.




Good iPhone picture, no?



I'll let you know how my nail gem experiment goes!





Review: Nailene So Natural Gel Based Nail Glue


I'm wearing the nailene fake nails here







The problem I struggle with when applying fake nails are air bubbles that form - usually on my thumb nails. You can see an air bubble here







These are the two nail glues I picked up


The one on the left is gel based. The one on the right is brush on.

Although the formula of the brush-on-glue is thinner than the gel formula, this brush on formula is thicker than the original nail glue version.







I heard that gel based glues are better at preventing air bubbles than regular nail glue. So that is why I bought this - plus, it says on the packaging that it eliminates air bubbles and air pockets









Review: I still had a couple of air bubbles when gluing the fake thumb nails on when using this gel. So no - it DID NOT help me eliminate the problem of air bubbles at all. That was the first disappointment.



The second disappointment is how quickly my fake nails fell off. I glued on a set using the gel based glue on Friday morning. After spending the next day out, the fake nails started to fall off during dinner and while clubbing! After I came home from clubbing, four of the fake nails were missing LOL. No, that is not typical



On top of that, the rest of the six remaining fake nails were easy to snap off - I did not need any nail polish remover to remove them.



In comparision, when I use the regular Nailene glue my fake nails stay on for a solid 5 days straight. Often, I have to use acetone based nail polish remover to take some of them off as well.



I should point out that although the packaging states the glue is pink in colour, it dries pretty much clear.



Performance wise, this Nailene gel nail glue is identical to the crappy glue most fake nail sets come with.




Verdict: I will not be repurchasing the Nailene gel based nail glue. I still hold true to my first review on my favourite nail glue being the original Nailene glue (my first review is here)






Have you tried at home nail kits? If so, do you have a problem of air bubbles too?


No comments:

Post a Comment