Thursday, December 23, 2010

Vacation Pictures: Paris - Eurostar Train & Eiffel Tower



Dale took me on a day trip to see Paris on Sat Dec 11th as part of my Birthday gift

Since we were in London, we decided to go via Eurostar Train to Paris - about a 2:15 hour ride


Quick Eurostar Review

In comparison to my VIA train rides in Canada, the Eurostar is much much smoother
I recall one time from Toronto to Ottawa, the train tracks were so rickety that I was swaying in my seat and my wine was spilling from the glass which was sitting on the table! 

One thing I wanted to note about travelling first class Eurostar: the agent who booked our tickets said the difference between 1st class and coach is that first class is served a meal. Dale booked us 1st class. 
And let me tell you, the breakfast and dinner we were served on Eurostar was really poor
It's worse than airplane food 
So if you want to go 1st class for the food - skip it 
If you want to go 1st class for the extra leg room and bigger chairs, then go for it 
Other than that, I was content with my train ride :) 







Our first stop in Paris was the Eiffel Tower





Being a Saturday, there were long queues 
You can go up the Eiffel tower by taking the stairs (up to 2nd stage) or by taking the elevator (up to the very top) 
The line up for the stairs was ~45 minutes. The wait for the elevator was ~1.5 hours
Since we only had one day in Paris and wanted to see many things, we couldn't afford to wait that long for the elevator....so we took the stairs











Omigosh, there are so many stairs to climb! 
I'm so out of shape that for the rest of the day I almost cried every time I saw a flight of stairs 






What the?! *shakes head*


















The Eiffel Tower has a very interesting history
It was lovely to see, as it is a famous landmark in the World

Plus, we had a fabulous dinner near the Eiffel Tower and managed to get this picture later the same day
(so yeah, the lousy dinner on Eurostar didn't matter since we were full from the earlier dinner)




I feel so lucky that Dale took me on this trip for my 26th Birthday :) 


What famous landmark in the world would you like to see? 



No comments:

Post a Comment