Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tips for a Successful Relationship



I pretty much only read magazine articles if I'm relaxing in a bath - which doesn't happen too often as I mostly take showers. Hence I'm delayed in my magazine reads and there's a huge stack of unread magazines here. So if you wondered why the occasional magazine cut out I shared with you is 8 months old, now you know why LOL


Here is an article in an old Reader's Digest issue that I wanted to share with you.
I rarely read about relationship advice (especially if it's in a magazine like Cosmo) let alone a whole magazine article. But not only did I read this whole article, I decided to highlight what I felt was important and scan it for you  ;)

By the way, I feel that everyone can take home something from this article 
You don't have to be married or dating someone. I felt the strong points of this article should apply to all relationships - even friendships













Click on image to enlarge

**all relationships should be fun & healthy. But reality is, you do have to work with one another and openly discuss your thoughts and feelings with each other. 

**(#6) I find this to be a huge challenge for many: some people expect that partner to fill nearly every void in their life. 
And listen, friendships outside of a relationship are healthy. It's a great idea that there are "friends night" where you go out without your man/girlfriend. Even spending time alone for a bit of "self pampering" and self reflecting is important. And if your partner has issues with you going out alone with your friends (assuming your circle of friends are good people) then there's probably an issue of trust. And from my experience if there is an issue of trust it either needs to be addressed right away or else the relationship will have many tough challenges






I absolutely agree with the "IOU" language comment 
When someone is upset with you, it's very easy to sound accusatory and using "you" can certainly add to that. But even though you use "I" instead of "you", be cautious of what you say. Like, instead of saying "I told you so" (which can sound accusatory) you could reword it and say "I had asked you that" or "I had pointed that out earlier"
Also, always note the tone of your voice 


Did you take home anything from this magazine article?

Do you like when I share magazine articles with you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment