Sunday, April 11, 2010

First Impressions of Samsung PL100 Camera & 500 Days of Summer

***July 13 2010 update: You can read my final impression of the Samsung PL100 camera here


I got rid of my Casio Ex-z280 camera (blog post here) and bought the new Samsung PL100 camera at Best Buy.

The camera has a display screen on the front of the camera as well as a typical display screen on the back. This photo is taken from Best Buy's website:
The Best Buy photo of course looks much better than my version here. This is the front of the camera with the front screen on (the sticker around the screen is removable)




This is the back of the camera:




I was worried the camera's front screen would look strange. And I could not find substantial reviews on this camera.
When I went to Best Buy I was surprised that (1) the front screen blends seemlessly into the rest of the camera body (2) you can turn on and off the front screen. And when the front screen is off, you can't even tell there should be a screen there in the first place which I love.
So far, the one thing I do not like is that several times the back display screen has lines flashing across the screen for a second or two. And those lines have even shown up in a few random pictures I snapped. Take a look at this picture of my water bottle. Do you see the blue lines going across the picture? I had these kind of lines (in different colours: blue and orange usually) show up even in video clips randomly


I never had this kind of problem with my previous Casio, Canon, Olympus and Sony digital cameras. I will probably try to exchange the camera for the same model and see if this problem still persists. I really hope not because I do like this model camera.
There is only one other camera I know of on the market that has this kind of front display functionality and it is the Samsung ST550
The reason I did not get this model instead is because the whole back display is a touch screen (no physical buttons). I do not like touch screens on digital cameras. It's not like the touch screen on my iPhone which I actually like....it is a different type of screen.
What do you think of the front display screens on the two Samsung cameras?

On Saturday evening I hung out with Gregg. Yep, the first Gregg I know with 2 "g's" ;) Apparently his Mom didn't like the name "Gregory" but liked the name "Greg". I'm not sure why she thought adding a second "g" would help stop the following two syllables (or-ry)....but it's unique.

I met Gregg at Brant House night club 2-3 weeks ago. He's a great guy :) AND he lives in the condo building beside me. What a coincidence huh? He came shopping at Best Buy with me for my camera and here he is with the camera's user manual since he helped me out with the camera


We watched 500 Days of Summer. Have you seen this movie?



We started the movie around 3:30 am so it's fine if you want to watch a movie and not think much about it. The movie length is pretty short. We both felt the movie was okay and a bit artsy. Neither Gregg or myself like romantic movies but neither of us was gagging from this one haha...but I was given the impression that there was actually a longer substantial relationship between the main characters, but in the end I felt it was just a fling and that the male character has some emotional issues.
And Zoey Deschanel looks so much like Katy Perry to me, don't you think?
What did you do this weekend?
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment