Friday, April 23, 2010

Hair Treatment - Coconut Oil

I've tried a few oil treatments for my hair - olive oil, V05 Hot Oil, amla oil and coconut oil.

Coconut oil has worked the best for me.

I purchased an organic brand at Whole Foods (around $23 CDN I believe)





And I also purchased a regular (non organic) brand ($4.79 CDN)




I suggest if you intend on cooking with the same coconut oil that you use for your hair, that you purchase the organic one. Mainly because the smell of the organic one is much more pure.


The cheaper Parachute brand works just as well as the organic one. The Parachute brand does have a burnt coconut smell to it, which is why I would not recommend consuming it.

I have repurchased the Parachute brand because the packaging is better. The bottle has a small spout for easy dispensing. The Activa packaging is a pain - you have to use a laddle to scoop out the oil/apply it which is messier.

This is the method I use for application.





(1) Boil water. I use a kettle.

(2) Pour some of that hot water into a bowl.

(3) Sit the bottle of coconut oil into the bowl for a few minutes. Coconut oil is most likely solid when you first purchase it. I like to liquify the oil and also make sure the oil is warm. After a few minutes, test to make sure the oil is warm and not too hot since oil heats up fast.


This is what I use: a towel, a claw clip, and a disposable shower cap. If the container has a large opening, use a spoon/small laddle to scoop the oil out.







Optional: blow dryer




(4) In small amounts at a time, pour the warm coconut oil into your hair and scalp. Fully saturate your hair



(5) Clip your hair up. I find it helps when putting my shower cap on and it helps avoid the shower cap from slipping off later.



Optional: Blow dry your hair for a minute or two to add some additional heat for absorption.



(6) Stick your shower cap on.



(7) For maximum conditioning, leave on overnight. Take my advice and put a bath towel over your pillow because chances are, your shower cap will slip off a bit during the night and you don't want oil stains on your pillow :\



(8) Shampoo and condition as usual.


When I do this once or twice weekly, I really see and feel a difference by the end of the second week. My hair is long and I use a curling iron on a weekly basis. To offset the damage my hair goes through, this is what I do :)


Do you use treatments for your hair? If you have, which ones have worked best for you?

=) Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment