Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Best Lip Balm Ever!

I was at my parent's house visiting for the past couple of nights and I had forgotten to bring along my favourite lip balm. It was then that I realized how crappy my other option was. I was stuck with the Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer SPF 15 lip balm:






















Yep, that was the lip balm lying around on my desk in my bedroom at my parent's place. Before I get into why I don't favour this lip balm, I should mention that I really really only like lip balms that leave a layer of relatively thick coating on my lips. When I'm at home, I really apply a thick layer of lip balm to my lips and end up smacking my lips a lot for the next several minutes....I know that might seem weird but it's what I do and I really have to feel that waxy texture on my lips when I'm smacking my lips together! I know there's a whole other school of folks that like a thin, quick absorbing lip balm and in that case, perhaps this Neutrogena one is for you (or maybe that Nivea Lip Care which I'm also not a fan of)....although there's no flavour at all except for a slight hint of sunscreen. And you know, like all things you don't like, it seems to last eons. LOL.

I use to use the basic Blistex Mint lip balm SPF 15 for years. I even got my Dad hooked on this one and he still uses it! I LOVE mint and the mint in this lip balm is actually noticeable on your breath a bit for quite a short while after application. And of course, you can definitely build up a waxy texture with this lip balm. I found this in my purse because I still have a few tubes lying around...I'll still be repurchasing this one for sure:





















I've tried numerous Blistex lip balms and none I've liked better than this basic mint one from them. I've tried the Blistex lip tone (great for a hint of colour but not as moisturizing I find), Blistex Ultra Protection SPF 30 (gosh, this was one that I finished up at my parent's place and it's gross! It tastes like Coppertone sunscreen x 2! And no waxy texture!), Blistex Lip Ointment (it just tastes weird and I don't like how the formula can get a bit thin in consistency), the Lip Medex (it's okay...has a strange medicinal taste and kind of tingles if I can remember. Anyways, I only bought it a few times and that was it). I've tried a couple of others from Blistex but I think you get my point!

BUT, I discovered my new favourite lip balm ever like a few months ago and I can't go without it! LOL. I have one by my bedside and on my desk here beside my laptop. It hasn't made it's way into my purse but it sure will once my Blistex is used up! It's the MAC Lip Conditioner SPF 15.







I don't know how to describe it. I can really slather on a thick layer before falling asleep and I wake up with soft lips :) It has a slight hint of vanilla in it's taste and if I'm right, it tastes kinda rich as if I can taste the avocado extract in it. I think I can taste a hint of the sunscreen in it but I really don't mind (it's not like the Blistex Ultra Protection). Anyhow, I didn't realize it when I bought it but the MAC lip balm has all these moisturizing ingredients in them like: almond oil, shea butter, avocado extract, wheat germ oil, vitamin A and E. The MAC tinted lip conditioners are just as good but sometimes I don't want a hint of colour, especially if I'm slathering it on at night (I don't want lip colour on my sheets or pillow by accident!). I think my favourite MAC tinted lip conditioner is Petting Pink because it really does add on a noticeable light-medium toned pink colour to my lips :) It's not like MAC's Suntints liquid lip balm from the Baby Bloom collection which does shit for colour (ah hem, Pink Tinge! It's not like the tinted lip conditioners!).

Anyways, I thought I would share this because I've constantly been on the hunt for the best lip balm ever and now my search has ended (I think!). The only downfall is that the MAC Lip Conditioner is $16 before taxes....I know I know, but give it a try (at least at the store to see what I mean).

:) Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment