Friday, August 28, 2009

My favourite face cleanser

I've been using two face cleansers for a while now and they seem to independently do the jobs I need them to. I have sensitive skin and have had a lot of allergic reactions to different products, particularly anything soap based (liquid bath soaps, face cleansers, some shampoos..etc...).

First off, the Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser is what I use to get the gunk off my face (the gunk I'm talking about: long-wearing foundation followed by face powder, bronzer, blush, translucent powder at times).





















Yah, you don't want to know what I was using before I discovered this cleanser about a year ago! LOL. (I was using Oxy wipes which are not meant for face makeup removal). Anyways, this stuff really does take off all my face makeup! I was really surprised actually. For a short while after I first bought it, I would use an Oxy wipe to see if any extra foundation/makeup was not removed by the cleanser. But this Neutrogena cleanser never let me down on removing face makeup so I actually haven't touched my Oxy wipes in a while because I find it too drying to use an Oxy wipe following this cleanser.

In terms of removing eye makeup, um, it removes probably 70% of my waterproof mascara - at best, 90% of my mascara. It removes my eye shadow very easily (but heck, rubbing with your fingers will remove eye shadow!) and I think it does a pretty good job removing my MAC fluidline. But if you're like me and wear 2-3 coats of waterproof mascara (or more!) it might not work to remove that stuff. Soooo, I use plain Johnson's Baby Oil to remove my eye makeup and then I wash my face with the Neutrogena cleanser which brings me from a fully made up face to a clean face :)

The second cleanser I use is Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:




















Now this one doesn't lather up at all like a typical cleanser so I can see a lot of people not liking this. And it does not remove makeup whatsoever.

It's soooo gentle - like I would say it's actually more gentle than some of those Johnson's "tear free" baby products (some are not so "tear free" for me). You don't even need water to use Cetaphil cleanser - you can just wipe the cleanser off with a tissue or face cloth and it won't irritate your skin :) But I do wash Cetaphil off my face...and the way I use Cetaphil is in the morning after I wakeup and just need to freshen up my face a bit (to get the sleep out of my eyes as well). I've been using Cetaphil since I was like 14 years old after my dermatologist at the time recommended this brand to me - I had really dry skin out of nowhere at the time and Cetaphil lotion cured the dry skin problem when NO other product would. I'll do a review of Cetaphil lotion another time if you want me to.

Have you tried any of these two cleansers? What did you think? What's your favourite cleanser at the moment?

:) Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment